I come to you a small, immature being with my own style and personality. I am yours for only a short time; enjoy me.
1. Please take time to find out who I am, how I differ from you, and how much I can bring to you.
2. Please feed me when I am hungry. I never knew hunger in your uterus, and clocks and time mean little to me.
3. Please hold, cuddle, kiss, touch, stroke, and croon to me. I was always held closely in your uterus and was never alone before.
4. Please don't be disappointed when I am not the perfect baby that you expected, nor disappointed with yourselves that you are not the perfect parents.
5. Please don't expect too much from me as your newborn baby, or too much from yourselves as parents. Give us both six weeks for me to grow, develop, mature, and become more stable and predictable; and six weeks for you to rest and relax and allow your body to get back to normal.